Monday, August 3, 2009

Howdy Partner

Long and fun weekend. Now that I am back at work...on with the usual morning news shenanigans...
 
My love for fantasy sports requires me to post this... I always love the favorite team guy, especially when he picks right in front of me. I would never ever ever allow cell phones into a draft.  If you cannot go a few hours without your phone...I do not want you in my league. Oh, and this goes without saying...no girlfriends allowed.
 
Greinke start #22 today...I mean, what else to Royals fans have to look forward to. Greinke called his current Royals team "probably the worst team I have ever been on." Wow man, you have been there since 2004.  I wonder if the play of the Royals this season has influenced this bit of information.
 
I said I'm not on steroids! Ouch.  Boston gets the Papi news, goes into a deep depression, starts to come out of it, and then POW! Right in the kisser.  This story is worth a read only because it shows a few things. 1. The Red Sox might have a fairly large situation on their hands. 2. Ortiz used 'roids, he didn't get nabbed for something that was tainted. and 3. Jerry Remy's son looks like the loosest of cannons.  Your dad is Jerry Remy, you are practically guaranteed a job at Fenway for the rest of the time that your dad is alive...and you sell steroids. I honestly don't care one bit if Papi talks. It's like when your parents say they are no mad, they are just disappointed, which feels 10000000 times worse.  Papi, we are not mad, we are just disappointed. 
 
A load of Sabermetric Bullshit. I love sabermetrics analysis of baseball. It is nice because it is honest analysis that has no human bias because numbers do not contain emotions.  This article...is a total shot in the dark.  If we knew how valuable prospects would be in the future, they wouldn't be prospects, they would be guarantees.  I agree with the idea that trading a handful of prospects hurts you in the long-run...It is hard to argue that unless you win multiple World Series, or you have a superstar player who you underpay.  I doubt we have anyway of quantifying this statement with any sort of accuracy like this article suggests we can.  Lets face it, If the Phillies or Red Sox win the World Series...the trade pays off and the rest is gravy. It is a gamble on both teams parts, and this article suggests that the prospects will reach their true potential, which rarely happens.  Remembers, the Sox and Phillies never even touched their best prospects, which makes these trades wins because they kept their high-level farm talent and gave up future role players (most likely). 
 
The Code. There are a lot of unwritten rules in baseball.  A lot of it seems to be about padding stats and not embarrassing your opponent and crap like that. The stealing home example at the beginning of the article is great.  If a team can get a run in, you have to do it. I think a lot of these rules are just perpetrated by crybaby losers.
 
 
 
Lots more later on...
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment