Friday, August 7, 2009

Town Hall Madness

Well things are getting out of hand fast at these town hall meetings on health care....just take a look here.
 
Anyways, there was a big game last night. Yankees embarrased the Red Sox 13-6. I think it is safe to say that we have seen the last of John Smoltz in Major League Baseball.  It was a good gamble made by Theo & Co. but at the end of the sometimes these things just do not work out.  I hate to say it, but the Red Sox of 2009 look like the Red Sox of 2006.  No energy, no will to win, and some injuries that do not help the matter.  I hope that is not what happens this year but I can tell you there is something missing. (I know, boo hoo, the Sox are in position for the Wild Card.  Thats great, but after Beckett and Lester, I have serious problems with the rotation).
 
Anyways, on to more things than the downers that are Universal Health Care and the current state of the Red Sox....
 
Well this is an interesting scenario...5 years ago Andrew Jones looked like a lock for the Hall.  3 years ago it looked like he needed to make some changes. Now, the 19 year old that baseball fell in love with is now a 32 year old pinch hitter.  I think if he can string 3-4 more good seasons together he might get the totals that would make him a really interesting HoF case. He was one of, if not, the premier center fielder for 8 years or so.  Is that enough to get you into the hall?
 
Max Scherzer meet Brian Bannister I wonder if this is part of the new young crop of solid major league pitchers.  Kids my age and a little older know stats, love stats, and have been living in the baseball statistical boom for a while now.  The wealth of data on the effectivness of certain pitches in certain locations should be looked at by pitchers.  I think Scherzer, who was blessed with a hell of an arm, is setting himself up for long term success with his interest (and his brother's interest) in stats.  It never hurts to have another weapon...and deep knowledge of your opponants stats is a good one to have in your back pocket.
 
Just imagine what Roy Halladay would be doing! Actually ,I doubt it would be much better than Lee, and it might not even be as impressive.  15 K's in 16 innings, only 3 BB's, 2 ER's, and most importantly, 2 wins.  We all know that Cliff Lee is a great pitcher, andhe is certainly backing up his Cy Young campaign with a season that is almost just as impressive.  Now that he is in the NL he should start racking up the wins. I didn't know if Lee would fundamentally change how we look at the National League. If these past two starts are any indication, I think he might be one of the top 3 pitchers in the NL.
 
Ouch. I like how it starts by saying that the police are investigating the matter.  Call me crrraaaaazzzzyyyy...but I am going to say he was drunk, thought sitting on the side of a moving escalator would be fun, and then proceeded to lose his balance (cause he was wasted) and fell 40 feet.  Feel free to object to my well thought out opinion on this matter.
 
VMart trade does not change much in the AL? That could be some bad news. I think he does change it because the Red Sox can now rest guys who cannot play everyday.  I think he makes the race a lot closer and he makes the lineup stronger.  Its hard to say that an All-Star catcher does not change the race when he impacts a team already in the hunt.
 
Anyways, back with more later...
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment